Sunday, October 18, 2009

Ode to Gourmet Magazine


I'm really going to miss Gourmet Magazine. With each issue I took a trip to somewhere very special. Each issue had great columns and commentary and recipes that would tantalized my curiosity about food. It helped me to become more adventurous with food through its recipes which explored regions around the world. Gourmet took me to wine regions around the world also. In a way I feel that Gourmet helped to bring our world together through food and wine. I have to admit secretly I wanted to write for Gourmet Magazine......too late for that. I will relish all of the issues I have though. I still carry the issue above in my pocketbook. It's from March 2008. I love looking at the pictures of France...it just reminds me of the way I think life should be lived, easy-going. One of my favorite sections within each issue of Gourmet was the "Gourmet Every Day" recipes. Here I could whip up something special for lunch or dinner in no time. Below is the crustless quiche I made often. It melts in your mouth....enjoy!

Gourmet Magazine - Crustless Quiche Recipe

serves 4

1 1/2 tablespoons fine dry plain bread crumbs
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup diced cooked ham (1/4 lb)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 (8-oz) package shredded Swiss cheese (2 cups)
4 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk

Equipment: a 10-inch quiche dish or 10-inch glass pie plate

Accompaniment: green salad

  • preheat oven to 425 degrees F with rack in middle
  • butter quiche dish, then sprinkle all over with bread crumbs
  • cook onions with ham in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, about 5 minutes. spread in dish, then evenly sprinkle cheese on top.
  • whisk together eggs, cream, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and pour over cheese. bake until top is golden and custard is set in center, 20 to 25 minutes. cool slightly before cutting into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment