Sunday, October 4, 2009

Pincushions, Picnics, and Pinot Noir

There are teachable moments in life and yesterday in a beautiful park, I had mine. My family and I were graced with the presence of another beautiful family, the Leavitt's. We had been planning to get together for years and finally the time was set (6:00) and the day was planned, picnic in the park and a movie. But on this day because of a scheduling mishap (not my doing), my family and me were late. We didn't arrive until 7:45...the movie had started and the food was tucked away. I felt pretty awful about being late but that feeling went away pretty quickly. Instead of a look of what happened or why were you late? We were met with a look of sheer joy accompanied with endearing hugs. After the greetings, we were lead to the area that was planned for our picnic feast... the blankets were already laid out and waiting for us. Then the food that was packed away was pulled out and served. We had a lovingly planned feast of roast chicken, grilled asparagus, grilled corn, creamy shrimp and grits and delicious Pinot Noir wine. There was even dessert....pound cake with a whipped cream center (of which I need the recipe for). There was even pizza for the children. The atmosphere was perfect.....french fair with an outdoor movie.

This experience taught me that life is too short to not have many picnics in the park...that nothing is more important in life than having great experiences with family and great friends, and that your perception of a problem is usually not the same perception others have, always be kind, and finally what is, is what is.......work with it. I later learned from my husband that the Leavett's had originally set up a picnic table equipped with flowers and lit candles for our feast. What a wonderful gesture! Even more wonderful was to look on my doorstep this morning to find a bag with salmon, cabbage with grapes and the pincushion flowers that had adorned the picnic table. The food was apart of our picnic meal, but was forgotten at home, and they wanted to share it with us. Another wonderful gesture. Oh, and there was a note too, telling us it was a pleasure being in our company. No, the pleasure was ours to remember always!

Wine Review - La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2007

You know I'm a French wine girl, so I'm really proud of myself in being able to say that this wine is probably one of the best Pinot Noirs from California I've ever had. There I said it. I know it has a lot to do with the winemaker.....and terroir.....sheer genius. I can tell that only the best sourced pinot noir grapes, throughout Sonoma, were used in this wine. It is layered with deep jammy cherry creaminess, a hint of vanilla, balanced acidity, and spice. Now creaminess is not a word associated with Pinot Noir, but I'm using it here because that's the sensation I get. Creaminess. Have this wine with goat cheese layered with wine jelly organic wine jelly and/or with roast pork or salmon.


enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment