Sunday, June 6, 2010

Food and Wine Travel...and Tarte Tatin too!

This entire day I have been watching the new Cookng Channel.  It's a spin-off, from what I can tell, of the Food Network.  The Cooking Channel is all about the how-to and where-from of cooking.  So far today I've learned how to make Tarte Tatin, the correct way.  I've traveled to India and learned all about their various spices for enhancing foods.  I've gone to France and learned how to make Brown Butter Fish.... and I've even gone to Naples and learned how to make Pizza Fritta or fried pizza.  What a great channel.  I'm glad someone got it...food travel without leaving the comforts of your home!  Which is one of the reasons I teach wine.  So many places you can go just by tasting wines from different regions.  I'm taking a group to Alsace, France this month, via a wine tasting party.  They are beginners with wine and I feel that if you want to learn about French wines, learning through Alsace is a great way to start.  The wines are light and fruity, easily identifiable, and the grape varietal names are on the labels.  Tarte Tatin  is one of the delicious desserts from the region so I think I'll make that for the class to have with their wines.  Grape varietals to look for from Alsace are; Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc (all whites), Riesling, and Pinot Noir (red).  Here's the recipe for Tarte Tatin.  Enjoy it with an Alsace Riesling or Pinot Blanc, shear heaven!  And check out the new Cooking Channel.

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment