Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bucking Tradition


I am a peanut butter fan.  In fact I'm one of those fans who passionately eats peanut butter out of the jar with a spoon as a mid-afternoon snack (organic is the best).  A few months ago my family and I had lunch at one of the best hamburger dives in Georgia and in addition to their stellar burger menu listed was what they called their famous "peanut butter pie".  Just the words peanut butter made my mouth water, and adding pie on the end of those words sealed the deal, and besides I have a son who shares the same passion.   We took it home....the brownish-beige round mass had a mountain of homemade whipped cream on the top which made cutting the perfect slice of pie challenging.  I muddled through and managed to plate two slices, one for me and one for my son.  We started eating and I can tell you for certain that I was lifted to a heavenly place.  I looked at my son to see if he was having the same experience and he appeared to be glowing (I think it had more to do with his teeth peering though his smile).  Yes, heaven is achievable on earth.  My son and I single-handedly ate the entire pie, not in one sitting, but in intervals throughout the evening.  Now, this experience was months ago and we have not been back to get that pie again, but we've talked about the pie a lot, so much so that my husband offered to make a peanut butter pie for us.  His thought was if they can do, he could do it.....and did it he did! Interwoven layers of sticky, gooey peanut butter and whipped cream all folded to pie perfection.  I paired this delightful mass with Barefoot California Moscato.  I know that traditionally pumpkin pie and apple pie adore the American Thanksgiving dessert table and I'm all for that.  I'm also in favor of bucking tradition by adding new ones and this peanut butter pie paired with Moscato would be a good one to add.  It has all of the ingredients that creates a lasting food and wine memory...and isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about.....lasting memories.  Have a wonderful and safe holiday.  Peanut Butter Pie recipe

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment