Sunday, May 31, 2009

Pinot Noir Heaven


Pinot Noir is my favorite red grape variety. Great examples come from Burgundy, France. Appellations like Romanee, Pommard, and Volnay produce some of the world most prized and expensive examples of the grape. Other less expensive appellations include; Alsace, France and Oregon, USA. I bought this bottle of wine about a year ago at a Korean Market, thinking it would probably taste good. I know wine regions, and since I knew that Germany sits parallel to France's Alsace wine region, I knew this wine would taste fabulous. Upon pouring this wine into the glass I knew I had something special. The colour was light cherry with a hint of brown. The bouquet was sweet cherry mixed with earthy barnyard. It was everything I thought it would be and I hadn't even tasted it yet. I dreamed of how I could turn that bouquet fragrance into a perfume. Then came the sip....oh my goodness, I can't even explain the shear pleasure this wine brought to me. Light in body with vibrant, deep cherry and earth embedded with spice and herbs. I was good. I couldn't stop drinking it. By the time the food was on the table, barbecued ribs and grilled short ribs........my body was feeling this wine. Feeling it in a great way. My husband, who was working the grill while I was feeling the wine came in with the food. I gave him a glass....He took one sip and said, " you're good"!!!! I said, "I know".
Rheingau 2005 Pinot Noir (Edition Maximilian) $8.99 (Korean Market)

No comments:

Post a Comment