Sunday, October 17, 2010

Living Mediterranean….

DSCN1193

On Saturday my family and me had our first fall picnic, Mediterranean in style, equipped with pecorino cheese and white wine gelee.  I became a fan of pecorino cheese when I heard that it was a staple on the Mediterranean family table (Greece, southern Italy….).  And that this cheese, made of sheep’s milk, was part of this diet that contributes to health, vitality and longevity.  And here I thought living the easy going life along the Mediterranean Sea was the reason for the people of this region living beyond 100 years of age.  I suppose in part it is that, but I believe a number of factors;  the meals, rich with olive oil, olives and tomatoes, the wine, especially the red, and a relaxed state of being all contribute to their longevity.  I challenge myself each day with a personal agenda to live a more relaxed life, and if that involves great food and wine…so be it!    Here’s what was in my Mediterranean themed picnic basket; Spaghetti with Spicy Tomato Sauce, two bottles of Cannonau di Sardegna Riserva 2006 sardinia (beautifully balanced red with flavors of fruity red dark berries and spice, the grape is Grenache), a wedge of Pecorino cheese, slices of French sourdough bread and a jar of white wine gelee (to spread on top of the cheese).  The spaghetti took minutes to make.  There on other thing I took with me…any easy going attitude.

Have a fall picnic and……

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment