Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Dear Diary….I think I sipped too much!

DSCN1554 I often love to sip wine while I watch my husband cook a fantastic meal.  He’s such a foodie!  He cooks and I explore new wines.  Occasionally while shopping for food he finds wines that he feels would  pair well with what he’s making, or at the least be interesting to taste.  This evening he was making rib eyes with a secret sauce (sharing recipes is not his thing) and sautéed vegetables.  As a ritual he pours a glass of one of his wine-finds for me, then I sit by and sip the wine and watch as he flowingly makes our meal.  Upon first sight the wine was golden in color, a beautiful glistening gold.  My first thoughts were, hot climate..upon first smell, tropical…upon first sip, pineapple.  After the initial assessment I looked at the bottle….yep! just what I thought, Chardonnay from a hot climate area, Chile.  This wine was really yummy; tropical thru and thru.  I sipped and watched my husband cook, praising him endlessly on a selection well made.  By the time our meal was ready I had sipped so much, that I was tipsy.  Now I really know why wine is best had with meals.  Some wines are definitely for sipping, the lower alcohol ones.  This wine, with its golden color and tropical flavors had 14% alcohol.  And the thing is, I knew from years of wine tasting that the alcohol was high in this wine, but the wine was so good I couldn’t stop sipping.  Needless to say my meal was delicious and I was a hoot while eating it.  Moral of the story…..sip high alcohol wines with food….no exception!  The other thing I confirmed is that wine is truly an enhancement to life.  My husband and I had the best time just being together….truly what life is all about.

The wine:  Montes Alpha Chardonnay Special Cuvee 2004 (Chile)

enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment