Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wines for this Season

DSCN1507

As with seasonal vegetables and fruits, there are seasonal wines; wines that pair perfectly with the lifestyle of the season.  In the winter we tend to eat foods and have fuller bodied wines that comfort us.  Soups, stews and hearty meats accompany wines like California’s Cabernet Sauvignon, Italy’s Brunello di Montalcino, and Australian Shiraz.  Spring transitions us to lighter foods and lighter bodied wines;  grilled chicken and lamb pair well with Oregon’s Pinot Noir,  Burgundy’s (Macon-Villages) Chardonnay, and Sardinian Grenache.  For the summer season we go even lighter, where food and wine is concerned.  It’s summer now, unofficially, and if you’re like me simple uncomplicated light meals is what I like to make; loads of pasta salad and potato salad, Panini press sandwiches, quiche, and Mediterranean salads.  My wines are simple too, especially since I spend most of my summer pool side or on my deck with a misting fan and a wine book.  My summer wines include; Portugals’s Vinho Verde, Spain’s Albarino, France’s Cotes du Rhone Rose, California’s Riesling, the Loire Valley’s Pouilly Fume, and of course Champagne.  Summer exemplifies simplicity more so than any other season and this recipe Shrimp and Avocado with Citrus Dressing paired with a New Zealand  Sauvignon Blanc or Pouilly Fume will help jumpstart your summer and your “I’m all about simplistic” attitude.  Explore lighter wines this season and……

enjoy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment