Sunday, August 1, 2010

Finding Sherbet

Technorati Tags:

DSCN1086 I recently attended a business networking event at a neighborhood restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised by the food for the event…cheese fondue with nachos, and assorted delicious finger foods.   You know normally these events are limited to cheese and crackers.  Anyway, after browsing the wine list, I ordered a glass of German Riesling.  I’m not sure who the producer was but something happened when I sniff the wine.   First, let’s talk a little about German wines. German quality wines are classified and graded by their ripeness or sweetness level, in order of sweetness;  Kabinett, Spatlese, Auslese, Beernauslese, Eiswein, and Trockenbeerenauslese, the greater the level of sweetness the more expensive the wines become, mostly due to rarity.  It’s rare in Germany for the grapes to ripen fully enough to make wines on the higher sweetness level.   So back to sniffing the wine.  I usually give my wines a quick conscious sniff, this time, probably because of people being around me, I gave it an unconscious sniff, just a pass by the nose kind of thing, and you know what?  I sniffed Sherbet…fragrant, childhood memories, Sherbet.  I’m sure it was always there and I’ve known that that was one of the qualities in German wines,  but this time I caught it.  What really surprised me was that I wasn’t intentionally nosing the wine, I gave it a short unconscious sniff, and then…Sherbet.  That sniff helped me find what was most likely always there.  Lesson….stop trying so hard.  All is revealed in due time.

enjoy 

No comments:

Post a Comment