Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Spirituality of Wine

DSCN1127

I met someone the other day, who was new to our area, for the first time.  She was very nice and through conversation the question was asked of me, what do you do?  I answered, I’m a wine educator.  The response I got was, I don’t drink wine, accompanied with a facial expression that said “wine is bad”.  This was not the first time I’ve run into someone who had the same perception about wine.  But it was the first time I thought, how sad.  Wine has been traced going back about 6000 years.  It’s origins is thought to have been somewhere around Turkey, and if you believe the biblical interpretation of the first vine grower and wine maker, Noah would be the one who started it all.  I don’t know if the Noah theory is factual or not, I do know, from biblical accounts, that Jesus must have been a big proponent of wine.  That fact, along with a few others, should ease the “wine is bad” perception about wine, especially here, where I live, within the bible belt, Georgia.  Putting biblical account aside, wine is a living breathing, vibrant, entity that springs from our earth.  It evolves just as we do and in most cases gets better with age, just as we do.  Through the ages, vintage after vintage, wine, coupled with food, has played an enormous part in bringing people and ideas together.  And through wine we experience places we’ve never been before, terroir is its soul and a place.  How could something so moment enhancing and the catalyst for bringing people together be held in a bad light?  Wine is good and when you have a really good vintage in your hands it’s even better, and when you have family and friends and great food along with that…..the experience is even better.  Speaking of a wine with soul…..Chateau Du Pin 2006 Bordeaux.  I’m sure I’ve written about it before, but shear memory of the experience is worth mentioning again.  Find it, experience it,  and by all means….. enjoy wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment